Urinary incontinence isn’t just a physical condition, it’s one that can take an emotional and mental toll.
Though not uncommon, those suffering from urinary incontinence often struggle with anxiety, embarrassment, and discomfort. Because nearly one out of three women and one out of eight men experience some form of bladder leakage during their lives, there are many incontinence products designed to protect against leaks, provide comfort, and ultimately, instill confidence.
The first step when deciding what product to buy is to decide your level of incontinence. While some may experience occasional light bladder leaks and would need a lighter product option, others may have heavier bladder releases or total loss of bladder control. Urinary incontinence products come in a variety of sizes, so picking the right one for your body type is important to making sure you stay comfortable and that you’re fully protected. Also, it’s important to take lifestyle into account. Are you an active person or do you have less mobility? Lighter, easily removable urinary incontinence products may work better for the more active person while the more sedentary person may need protective solutions that offer more security for longer periods of time. Finally, make sure to look at levels of absorption and breathability so you can protect your skin against rashes, deterioration, and odor.
In both men and women, there are a variety of factors that can cause urinary incontinence, including age as muscles supporting the bladder weaken, weight, smoking, drinking too much alcohol or caffeine, medications, disease, and illness. But there are also gender-specific reasons why a man or woman may suffer from bladder leakage, and there are a variety of incontinence products available that are designed specifically to suit the female or male body type.
Incontinence in Women
Why do more women experience incontinence than men? The answer is fairly straight forward. According to the Office of Women’s Health, because women go through unique health events like pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause, the muscles surrounding the urinary tract can be weakened or damaged, creating extra stress on the bladder and urethra and leading to incontinence issues.
There are a number of incontinence products for women. Some include:
- The Prevail for Women Daily Absorbent Adult Incontinence Underwear, which is made from cloth-like material for extra comfort.
- The Tena Women Super Plus Absorbent Adult Incontinence Underwear with its soft, tri-laminate material looks and feels even more like real underwear.
- Coming in four different colors is the Prevail Color Collections for Women Absorbent Adult Incontinence Underwear, giving you variety in life.
Incontinence in Men
While incontinence is more common in women, it’s still a prevalent condition in men as well with 17% of men suffering from loss of bladder control, according to a 2019 survey by the Urologic Diseases in America Project. Just like women, men have their own set of health factors that can contribute to urinary incontinence, like an enlarged prostrate. As men age, their prostrate gets bigger, which can make it so that urine flow from the bladder slows down.
There are a variety of incontinence products for men. Some include:
- The TENA Men Moderate Guards, Bladder Control Pad, which are anatomically shaped for comfortable wear.
- The Prevail Boxers for Men Maximum Absorbent Adult Incontinence Underwear feature a diamond printed, cloth-like fabric that also looks more like conventional men's boxers.
- Featuring soft, tri-laminate material, the Tena Men Super Plus Absorbent Adult Incontinence Underwear looks and feels even more like real underwear.
There are also many unisex incontinence underwear options that work well with a variety of body types, and you can even order incontinence products online for home delivery. Knowing that you’re not alone, and the range of products available, will help you make the best choice for your body and incontinence issue, so that you can feel confident, secure, and hopeful about tomorrow.