Nighttime incontinence in adults, also known as sleep enuresis, can be embarrassing and uncomfortable, but it’s nothing to be ashamed of.
Whether the issue stems from genetics, hormone imbalance, overactive bladder, medication side effects, or some other health issue, you’re not alone—millions of adults also suffer from sleep incontinence.
Dealing with incontinence is not ideal, but there are ways to live with it so that you can reduce incidents as much as possible while also staying comfortable:
- While reducing your fluid intake before bed can be helpful, it’s also important to stay hydrated throughout the day as it keeps your bladder functioning properly.
- Avoiding spicy foods, citrus fruits, diuretics like coffee and other caffeinated beverages, as well as alcohol can also help control leakage.
- Kegel exercises are also a great way to strengthen pelvic floor muscles, which support the bladder and urethra, and has helped people reduce leakage.
- Straining when you urinate is a no-no and can stress your urethra and bladder.
Putting these tips into practice can go a long way toward helping lessen the severity of your issue, but you’ll want to also find products to stay dry at night and get a good night’s sleep. Products to think about include mattress pads to protect your mattress, but most importantly, buying absorbent, nighttime underwear will give you back your rest.
Where can you buy incontinence products? You can find adult bladder control underwear at stores, but it may be more convenient to order incontinence products online, where you can also buy them in bulk if desired. Online, you’ll find there’s a wide variety of options, but absorbency, breathability, and fit are key.
For example, some adult underwear to check out includes:
- Tena Intimates Overnight Absorbent Underwear offers ProSkin technology to maximize comfort, high absorbency, and a cloth-like, breathable material. There’s also the Tena Intimates Overnight Bladder Control Pad, which offers 3D technology with a soft top layer that wicks fluids away from the skin, as well as Dry-Fast Core, which means the pad contains super-absorbent microbeads to trap in liquid and fight odor.
- McKesson Extended Wear Maximum Absorbent Underwear pulls off and on like real underwear and a premium acquisition layer rapidly absorbs fluid into the core, while its soft, cloth-like flex provides comfort and a discreet fit. You can also check out underpads for double protection, including the McKesson Ultra Breathable Heavy Absorbency Low Air Loss Underpad, which has super absorbent polymer to lock wetness away and neutralizes the pH of urine to protect the skin, while providing a breathable, cool backsheet.
Once you’ve found a product that makes you feel protected, your bed will once again become a haven for a restful, dry sleep.